Nature is flourishing
08 May 2020
With our campus being so quiet without students, nature is flourishing and we have been out with our camera to be able to share some of the wonderful sights with you.
Meanwhile, another two weeks of online learning have passed and everyone seems to be doing very well. It has been lovely to hear from some of our Boarders how they have been getting on and we were very excited to receive some cooking and baking suggestions which we have been trying out ourselves! We wanted to share some of them with you:
Andrei sent us his mother's recipe for one of his favourite dishes - Russian Pelmeni.
For the filling: 0.5 kg of pork (boneless)
1 small onion
1 tsp of salt
Pepper to taste
1. Cut the meat and onion into medium-sized cubes and put it through a meat-grinder.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste, mix. For the dough: 300 ml of water 3 cups of flour 1 egg 1/2 tsp of salt
3. Pour water into the food processor and gradually add flour, egg and salt. Mix until a dough of uniform texture forms. 4. Knead the dough, then let it rest for 20 minutes in a closed container.
5. Roll the dough into strands and cut them into pieces around 1 cm wide.
6. Roll each piece into a thin circular shape.
7. Add around 1 tsp of ground pork to each dough circle.
8. Fold the it into a semi-circle, pinch the edges and bring the two ends together.
9. Put the pelmeni into a freezer for at least 3 hours (can be stored for a month).
10. Pour enough water into the pot, according to the portion size.
11. Add salt, black peppercorns and a bay leaf to the water and let it boil.
12. Place the pelmeni into the water, one by one.
13. Stir them with a spoon to prevent sticking.
14. Wait until they boil (float to the top) and cook for 5-7 minutes.
15. Take the pelmeni out with a skimmer and place them on a plate.
16. Serve with butter, sauerkraut or mayonnaise
We celebrated a number of birthdays during the holidays and last week, and we are celebrating two more this week. Happy Birthday for the holidays to Mattia and Sofiya, and last week to Daniel and Anna B. Happy Birthday to Greta and Frank for this week! We can't wait to welcome back out Boarders to the St. George's Community
Your enquiry was sent successfully.
Something went wrong
Your enquiry was not sent successfully.
Please try again.
Too many attempts
Your enquiry was not sent as you tried sending too many times. Plesae try again later.